Thursday, May 20, 2010

More Thoughts About Body Image: Wallace & Gromit-Style

Here's a really cute video I came across recently which animates real-life interviews with Wallace & Gromit-style claymation.



Note, in particular, the difference between how the men view and feel about their bodies and how the women do (especially in interviews where men are not present).

This eyebrow-raising exchange between a mother and daughter starts around 3:20:

Interviewer: What do you think her best feature is?
Mother: Her ... best physical feature?
Interviewer: Yeah.
Daughter: Oh, oh no! I just cringe! I just don't know what she's going to say and it's freaking me out!
Mother: I don't even know what I'm gonna to say...
Daughter: See! Yes, my mother! This is my mother!
Mother: Her best physical feature ... is ...
Daughter: Oh!
Mother: ... the shape of her body. Her long waist...
Daughter: (snorting) That's what you alway--
Mother: ...and her big boobs.
Daughter: Mother!!
Mother: The shape of her body. You know she's ... she has ...
Daughter: Underneath the fat...
Mother: Yeah...
Daughter: Right.....

And then, of course, there is the issue of how the women view the men (as opposed to how the men view themselves), which comes up with the Sean Connery comment at the beginning ... and the "fig leaf" comment at the end ... Ouch ...

No comments: