Sunday, December 25, 2011

Post-Christmas Thoughts

A numbly sweet end to a challenging and transformative year.

I met up with my parents and other family at a Chinese restaurant in Flushing for dinner ... very different from the all-day home-hosted affairs of the past, but it felt right. We chatted comfortably while swinging the lazy Susan around, chowing down on vibrant, chewy meats, rice and veggies.

We were the only non-Chinese in the place and I had to wonder if anyone in the restaurant thought we were Jewish.

Afterwards, my cousin and his wife went for drinks with me and my parents at a little Irish bar a few blocks south of Roosevelt and caught up on family stuff.

I was tired and too mellow for any socializing beyond this, so it was good for me in many ways.

A nice way to end the year.

Thank you, 2011 ... You beat me up, burned me out and changed my life ... all to the good, I think. :-)

No comments: