Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9-11

I've been debating whether of not to weigh in on the 9-11 thing.... The only other post I've done on this was last year, about the prescient dream I had a few days before the event.

Anyway.

 Yes, I was in the city that day. Yes, I saw the towers, even from our office window in midtown, I will never forget the giant hole -- like the eye of Jupiter -- in Two World Trade.

 I am still haunted by the fact that I had interviewed for a job in One World Trade the year before, and was one of two final candidates. Yet, even though I recall the stench and dust and burned paper wafting even into Brooklyn, part of me feels removed from the event ... it was too large for me to grasp then, and still is now. 

In subsequent years, I was horrified to see this event used and abused by those who in other contexts loath New York and all it stands for.

These events can't be contained in simplistic definitions; we can only stand in awe of them, grieve for the loss they hand us, and build anew (and hopefully better) upon the ruin.

No comments: