Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Never Judge! (Things are rarely what they seem...)

Chatting with a friend last night in front of Penn Station, we became aware of a large, heavy-set man standing a few feet from my left shoulder staring at us.

We were making our goodbyes, subtly upping the level of our chat to block our awareness of this odd fellow  and his persistent gaze.

"Well, OK, see you later!" I chirped, stepping backwards.

"Um excuse me," said the man. I looked down with a frustrated huff, preparing to deliver my usual firm-but-compassionate lie, "I'm sorry I don't have any money" -- but the moment I opened my mouth to say, "I'm so--" something in his eyes caught my breath. I looked at my friend, who had a similar reaction.

"Hi..." he fumbled, "I'm uh..... I'm sorry to interrupt but I just wanted to say I was watching you two talking... and, I don't know, just the way you are looking at each other and listening to each other ... Well, I don't want to say.. uh... about your relationship. But whatever it is, it's beautiful."

We looked at each other, and at him, both completely speechless for a few seconds. I couldn't wrap my mind around what this was... Was he suggesting we were lovers and leering at us looking for some lesbo action? Maybe.. but his tone wasn't "leery" or "creepy." It was kind of warm and sweet ... and sincere.

Maybe, just maybe ... he was moved and curious and just wanted to say something nice.

"Um... thank you," my friend said, returning his smile.

"Yeah..." I smiled too, "that's very sweet of you to say."

"I don't mean to be weird or anything... I just wanted to .. you know...." he trailed off.

"Yeah," my friend said, "Thank you."

"You have a good night now." He turned and headed towards Penn.

My friend and I regarded each other for a moment. "Um.. that was ... kind of nice!" she said. I agreed.

We made our goodbyes and she headed down the subway steps. As I walked over to Duane Reade I turned the episode over in my mind. Was it weird and creepy? Was he just hitting on us?

Maybe... probably ... But you know what? If a guy is going to hit on me, then that is the way he should do it:  respectful, appreciative, sincere -- asking nothing more than simply to be heard and received with a smile.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sooo... pointing at one's crotch whilst making wet kissing noises will NOT work? That would explain quite a lot!

Tandava (Carol Henning) said...

Well... it depends on what you mean by "work"..... >:-D