Sunday, January 27, 2008

Show at DROM

Just got back from the DROM show -- which went really really well. In addition to being a fabulous dancer, choreographer and teacher, Oreet is some kind of promotional genius. She packed the place. And it was a truly lovely crowd.

And the talent was stand-out, drop-dead amazing.

One of the things I love the most about emceeing is that it gives me the opportunity to say nice things about the people who have inspired me.

I got a lot of compliments on the emceeing, but the truth is that when I did stand-up oh-so-many years ago, I don't think I was especially good.... perhaps because at the time it was mostly about me -- my ego, my image of myself, and how well I was doing, and yada yada yada.

And there is something perverse in my nature that makes me want to serve something larger than myself. And I think that serving these wonderful dancers -- and through them that divine energy of dance, performance, comedy, whatever. And somehow that makes me better, funnier, more enjoyable. And I enjoy it all so much more, myself.

Yesterday I caught Charlie Rose's interview of Jerry Seinfeld, and Rose asked him why Larry David hadn't had Seinfeld on Curb Your Enthusiasm more often.

And Seinfeld replied that neither he nor David was interested in "serving" anyone's ego or agenda or anything other than "the comedy gods... And if you respect [them]," he added, "they will keep you in their graces."

And those graces are lush and bountiful indeed!

No comments: