Saturday, December 5, 2009

Jerry & Dickey & Jehan at the Sullivan Room

This past Thursday, I had the transcendent delight to see Jehan perform with musical prestidigitators Jerry Bezdikian and Dick Barsamian at The Sullivan Room.

Jehan at the Sullivan Room Thurs Dec 3

For those who have perhaps only heard of Jehan from her appearance on last year's season finale of Wife Swap, know this: She is a big deal in the bellydance world.

And I do mean a very Big Deal.

This is not simply because of her artistry and longevity as one of America's best bellydancers, but her power -- as a performer and as a person.

This was apparent even in the episode of what could have been a very cheesy show (bear in mind, I didn't know her much when I saw it), in which she was switched with straightlaced pig farmer Brandi Carmichael.

In the beginning -- most likely to create the strongest contrast with Brandi -- they attempted to portray Jehan as, frankly, a bit of a loon.

They went nuts with the bellydance scene... glitter, veils and candles everywhere (and, frankly, it is a bit like that).

But as the show progressed, and she impressed upon her adopted family the values of creativity, joy and relatedness, it was clear that she was no caricature to be trivialized and exploited; she was an extraordinary woman with an extraordinary message.

Now, before Thursday, I'd never seen her dance a full set. And from the beginning, she was nothing short of mesmerizing... beyond mesmerizing.

She was at times playful, seductive and serene -- but always powerfully compelling.

Imagine my surprise to learn afterwards that she'd been completely exhausted and dealing with a dastardly wardrobe-malfunction-waiting-to-happen.

She wrote to me the following day when I told her how she had enchanted the audience: "..this was a valiant effort, but a mere shadow of what I wanted to give... it was the best I could do that day but I am happy it reached people..."

So. That's Jehan.

Now. About Jerry and Dickey.

Those in the Middle Eastern Dance & Music community know Dickey for his music, and Jerry mostly from his photography, which has been his focus these past many years.

But earlier this year -- in fact, shortly after my photo session with him -- Jerry came out to see me dance at The Grisly Pear and ran into Dickey.

And they decided it was time for Jerry to break out his kanun once again; and what better person to break with than Dickey?

So, months later, and after a few false starts at other venues, their bi-weekly gig has found a beautiful home at The Sullivan Room in the Village.

And I'm so, so thrilled to have been there when it was first conceived... I was about to say I sort of felt like a midwife... but I think it's something else when you are there at conception... hmmmmm.... :-D

Hope to see you there (at The Sullivan Room, not at conception... well, maybe some of you... we'll tawk....)!!

No comments: