Monday, December 21, 2009

Rockefeller Center Security Guard -- Drunk on Holiday Power?

They say absolute power corrupts absolutely -- but petty authority is far more dangerous, in that it is pervasive, insidious and wreaks its damage not as the single blow that brings down the house; rather it's the nibbling vermin that shreds the structure from within.

And a verminous mouth nibbled me today.

Now, bear in mind, I'm no fan of security guards.

Often underpaid and desperately underqualified -- especially after the post-9-11security frenzy -- they manage to make me feel safe and threatened at the same time.

In the wake of 9-11, as security in one form or another was ubiquitous, stories of abuses were rampant, as guards made a sport of fondling, bullying and otherwise victimizing air travellers.

In the past few years, thankfully, this has abated.

But every once in a while, in a high-profile, high-volume situation -- like Rockefeller Center at Christmastime -- security gets a tad overzealous. And I start to wonder if we're heading back down that slippery slope.

So today, as I headed back from a lunchtime gig at the United Nations, I trudged through the 4pm crowd around the Rockefeller Center ice skating rink.

I had done a sword routine for the show, and carried the prop in a shoulder bag that is too short, so the hilt sticks out of the top corner.

Bear in mind, I had passed through UN Security without even a nod, and weaved my way through gaggles of NYPD without a second look.

According to my pal in the NYPD, "Legally, under NYC Admin Code, section 10-133, possession of a knife with a blade longer than 4 inches is illegal. No intent, no recklessness, not even not having knowledge that you possessed it. Up to 15 days in jail."

And, if indeed, this item were a "blade" it would have had a sharp edge and a point.

But it doesn't.

This "blade" is a clumsy, blunt, bronze scimitar -- perfect for balancing on my head...

World Exotica 2

... and not much else.

It's less threatening as a golf club -- a fact obvious to the NYPD and UN Security.

(It is refreshing to know that SOME people in authority can recognize a theatrical prop when they see one.)

But not so at Rockefeller Center.

Somewhere along the northern path above the rink I became aware of a tall, wiry, middle-aged black man walking next to me.

"Hey, is that real?" he asked with a hint of a chuckle, in the way that men do when they are hitting on me.

I ignored him.

"Is that real?" he asked again as we walked up the staircase in front of 30 Rock.

"It depends on what you mean by real," I finally answered.

"No, seriously. Is it plastic or something?"

I made a "WTF?" face and turned away.

"It's bronze," I said, flatly.

Then he grabbed the handle of the sword, trying to pull it from my bag.

I snatched it away. "Please don't touch that!" I spat and yanked it and myself back.

He didn't say anything else, but held up a walkie talkie and said, "Person of suspect is heading... "

I moved quickly across 50th Street, heading in a panic towards the Swarowski booth.

So.

Not the most terrifying encounter; but enough to scare me with images of being hauled off to some security desk, made to wait, bullied, harassed, whatever.

And then what do I say when I finally make it back to work?

(OK, they're pretty nice at my job, so it probably wouldn't have been an issue -- but still...!)

Then I thought about the incident, and how completely inappropriate his behavior was, for two striking reasons:

(1) He did not identify himself to me as a guard; indeed if he had touched my person rather than my prop, I would have socked him one in the jaw;

(2) He should never have touched my person or my prop at all!

So. How to handle this?

Well, I fumed about it at first.... posted it in my facebook, gnashed my teeth at a few tolerant friends.

And finally I decided to do something about it.

I found the concierge number on the Rockefeller Center website and asked to speak to security, explaining that I'd had an incident with a security guard.

The receptionist apologized and forwarded my call.

I repeated the story to a guard who seemed genuinely surprised by the offending guard's behavior. "Yeah," he said, "He definitely should not have done that."

He alerted the supervisor of my call and took details -- time, location, events, physical description. "Hmm.." he said as I described the guard, "That doesn't sound like one of our team."

He explained, "It's not just our guys out there... there's Fifth Avenue security, some NYPD..."

The supervisor became available and took the call.

I repeated many of the details and he, too, asked for a more detailed physical description.

I did my best: taller than me (about 6'3"?), late 40s to 50s, caramel skin, glasses, dark jacket and pants, dark hat, walkie talkie.

He had some kind of badge on his left side, but he had grabbed me with his right hand, so the left side was away from me. And I wanted to get away from him.

The supervisor expressed his apologies and said he would do his best to address the issue.

I thanked him for his time and hung up feeling not entirely resolved.

Perhaps I should have asked the supervisor the best way to have handled that situation.

Should I have stopped and faced him dead-on? Would that have left me more vulnerable?

Probably. Yes, I think so.

And that is the biggest problem here.

The petty authoritarians have their tiny taste of power, and are chomping at the bit to use it. And if you are on the receiving end of their unwanted attentions, it will rarely turn out well for you.

If you decide to stand your ground and fight back, then occasionally you can help ferret some bad ones out (if, indeed, the higher-ups are even interested in doing any ferreting -- and making such an assumption is in itself extremely risky).

And if I had been not been running late, I might have done that.

But in this case -- and in the case of many of us who are confronted with petty authority bullshit -- we just want to get on with our lives, make whatever obeisance these assholes want to let us be on our way.

And perhaps that is precisely what gets them off.....

My guess was that this scumbag knew very well that the sword was not a problem, and that he was, indeed, using its presence as an excuse to hit on me.

So.

To be continued.

Maybe.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

a slightly related issue possibly. 2 times warned off by security guards from taking photographs. (i have spoken with, and looked on the nygov.com site and i was within my rights to use a hand held camera in the streets. one time pointed at a driveway across from rock center/down from where the theater used to be, now a clothing store. another, today, 3.1.2011 the mcgraw hill building. pointing camera straight up; sky, edge of buildings. a sec guard rushed out telling me to stop, for security reasons. i informed her that it is only federal buildings. made calls to mayors office; film, theater, etc. and confirmed my assertion that i did not need permit. problem is i have read of situations mostly in subways where it is also legal as long as you do not create a blockage for pedestrians to shoot.police will typically arrest the offender. i'm thinking it is not the typical tourist as i see them often shooting, but rather others w/pro cameras. problem is what to do in that situation. refusing will surely bring more misinformed security people, and should they turn it physical how not to protect oneself in that situation. or if the police arrive and either side with security as often happens, or they themselves are ill informed? rhandwerke123@aol.com

Anonymous said...

i think your way off and a bit of a trouble maker you have issuses this poor guy was problay just doing his job just like you do your dance thing everyone has jobs underpaid or not! pretty shore your an average joe so jealious of your own life you gotta mock this security officer who is problay looking out for you everyones saftey and which you explained it very well he has every right to question you your on private property what you think your in just any street its rockafeller center lol get a hold of yourself your so lost lady your life must have been pretty rough you can see thru your blog your nothing but an asshole yourself again i disagree with you that man was doing his job your pathetic the type when somthing happeneds your problay the first to cry wheres the security lol listen ppl like you you make it your buisness to disrespect authority really have issues i mean your blog made no sense at all you sound like a crook lol drunk on holiday power cause your on private property not the ghetto wit a sword that is a prop to you but others dont know 1st hand lol common you make horriable sense mrs seriously you know deep down you know your wrong you really need help and per as your friend in the nypd omg plz who dosent have friends in the nypd but even at that not all cops are smart lol i know lots that are dum as the next one who can't go by what an officers says get real talk to me like that when you know or friends wit a judge lol your so lost do you think every man wants you omg i can't stand losers like that lol get a hold of life grow up i just bumped into this blog some how and i can see right thru you sorry if i sound harsh please forgive me but maybe God intended you to see this maybe it will change your negitive ways on live agin your blog is terriable you sound like a little troubled teen whos rebelious and is just looking for trouble that security officer man sounds like a man working for his family just doing his job i would of been on your side if you said he threw a kiss at you or said somthing sexiest to you or really made a pass at you not you making an ass out of youeself assuming like you did when you say i think he liked me like a little school girl common he simply asked you if that was real a weapon that you may have been carrying to him lol so again this blog is an epic fail of a troubled person please seek help thank you im very concerned for you i hope you look at your life and evaluate and make changes the issuse was not at all the security officer it was you!

Tandava (Carol Henning) said...

Wow... Usually I delete offensive or insane comments ... but I think this qualifies as art.

In a way, I'm sort of honored that this person felt so strongly about what I wrote to go off on such a tear.

I wonder if he/she is or has been a security guard and has run into power struggles of his/her own....

firstsecurityservices said...

I would like to say just one word for the firstsecurityservices Splendid!! I have seen many security companies in my whole life but have never seen anything like this! It is amazing. You should also consider it!

Andrew said...

Very logical and open cut expression I see. This was my first visit to this informative weblog and pleased to see you organized the website with a variety of rich contents. Anyway, when it comes to the term of security guard, I think most of the security guard or guard services try to make sure the professional service and responsibilities. I was mostly charmed with your long and thoughtful details. BTW for the better security services particularly in the Edmonton area, 365 patrol, one of the reputed security companies edmonton can contribute much. They provide a wide range of personalized services to both business and personal clients, including commercial and retail security services, residential security, and even personal protection.