Saturday, October 18, 2008

New York Cares Day 2008!

In spite of today's sudden cold snap (and the nasty cold I've been fighting), I and a bunch of my co-workers enjoyed some major warm fuzzies volunteering for New York Cares Day.

Today's Mission: Paint giant, trippy technicolor murals in an elementary school.

The Victim: PS 84 in Williamsburg.

The Method: Grab a brush and get on a ladder!!

Basically, it was like paint-by-numbers -- only without the numbers, and with pretty cheesy paint (the art director remarked that next time we should get Benjamin Moore to sponsor us into some better materials!).

Using a colored sketch created by the art director, and a chalked outline, we mixed and matched colors as best we could, bringing foods, flowers, blocks and butterflies to life on the school's walls.

I focused on an anthropomorphic raincloud having what looks kind of like a happy accident on flowers and outstretched palms and cups, encouraging all to "Drink It" (trippy, right?).

Cafeteria Mural 2- Me with My Happy Raincloud

On the cafeteria's adjacent wall, fruits and veggies offered themselves to toothy, grinning kids.

Cafeteria Mural 1- Good Food

Outside, a bulbous caterpillar hugged the Pre-K wall.

Pre-K Wall 2- Caterpillar!

And blocks & butterflies graced Kindergartenland.

Pre-K Wall 1- Butterflies & Blocks

I can't help wondering whether the kids will be delighted or baffled on Monday morning......

Or maybe a combination of both. Heck, that worked for me when I was a kid!

No comments: