Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bellyqueen's 10th Anniversary Gala

After months of planning, preparing, promoting and perspiring, the Bellyqueen 10th Anniversary tour was a phenomenal success!

The astonishing troupe completed their six-city tour in the span of a week -- yes, that's right, they drove to five cities in five days, finishing up in Chicago. And then they drove all the way back on October 9th.

And somehow they managed to be in top form by noon on Friday when we all met for tech.

Brad and I held the fort in NYC, promoting the show like crazy -- which really paid off, as we sold over 400 tickets in under a week!

Thank you to everyone who came out!!

Here's a nice pic of me introducing the show. (Many thanks to Sal Romano for his excellent photos!)

Tandava 2

I segued into a Twilight-Zoney spiel as the stage darkened and curtain creaked open... revealing....

"Carousel"!

Carousel

This is one of my favorite BQ numbers, having seen it in various stages of development over the past few years. It is a delicious showcase of world dance styles alla bellydance where the dancers start as mannequins, then come to life amid fans, ribbons and cowboy boots, only to be pulled back into mannequin form at the end (hence my TZ connection).

Carousel was an especially appropriate opener, as world dance through the b-dance lens was a frequent theme in the BQ show, and in their work in general.

Another lovely example was the quartet "Move" where tribal and cabaret bellydance are joined by flamenco and bollywood to stunning effect.

Move 1

In keeping with the international theme, Australian beatboxer, hip-hop dancer and rapper Morganics joined NY's Hebraic didgeridoo-sporting rapper Baba Israel....

Baba Israel & Morganics

.... who immediately preceded Bellyqueen's hip-hop bellyesque "gang fight" finale, the Drum Battle!

Drum Battle

On a personal note, this was an extraordinary event for me.

As many of you know, I started my performing career back in the 90s as a stand-up comic. Disheartened by the "scene" I joined a theater company for another bunch of years, until illness kept me off the stage.

I took up bellydance to recover from the illness (which included abdominal surgery and 3 herniated discs), only to be led straight back into comedy!

Because of my stand-up experience, I've been asked to emcee bellydance shows for about two years. Now, this is mainly extemporaneous patter ... I hadn't written any actual jokes or routines in over a decade.

Then, a few days before the show, Kaeshi told me she needed me to "fill" about 15 minutes while the band struck their setup.

Uh... huminahuminahumina....

Of course I said yes. And promptly broke into a sweat.

I'd had some ideas kicking around for a while, but never solidified anything -- until the night before the show.

It's always kind of amazing the way these things come together.

If you'd told me last year I'd be joining the prestigious Bellyqueen, doing a full stand-up set before an audience of over 600 ... AND that the performance would be filmed for an upcoming DVD release.... well, I don't know what I'd have said....

But I certainly would have wanted whatever drugs you were taking.

This has been an extraordinary year for me in so many ways. And I can't thank all of you enough -- teachers, fellow students, friends, family and (though I hate to use this word) "fans"! Your support, appreciation (yeah, and tolerance, sometimes :-> ) is so appreciated.

So, SO appreciated.

THANK YOU!

No comments: