Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tokyo Story Part I: How PURE Reflections Came to Japan

"Japan beckons cold-footed Carol!"

It is the evening of Wednesday, September 22nd -- barely three days after our Big PURE Weekend of workshops and shows (which I organized and hosted) and I am still catching my breath.

And now, I was going to Japan.

The Monday before, I'd learned that Kaeshi, PURE's Artistic Director, had been approached by Lâle Sayoko, a well-known Japanese dancer and member of PURE, about bringing PURE Reflections to Japan.

Lâle had seen the show and performed with us earlier that year and found the experience so powerful that she had determined to share it with her sisters in PURE Tokyo (PURE's only international chapter -- so far! :-> ). And now her dream was becoming a reality -- more quickly than anyone could have imagined!

Kaeshi, it turned out, was going to be in the Far East for Jillina's Bellydance Evolution show in December, and had been approached to teach a few workshops in Osaka. And while she realized it would not be feasible to bring the entire 30-person cast of dancers and musicians to Japan, it might be possible, she thought, to mount it with a Japanese cast.

"Do you think one week will be enough?" she asked as we headed through Cooper Square Monday night.

"Well... they would really need to understand the show," I replied, "It would take a lot of preparation in the weeks beforehand..."

"I know..." she winced a little.

"Well, you're not doing it without me."

Her eyes popped. "Really? Would you really do that?"

"Sure," I said, "I mean ... I can't let you do it alone."

We checked airline prices that evening. $980! My account wasn't exactly flush, but the show was more important. And even with two people at the helm, mounting PURE Reflections would be an herculean task.

Then I started to worry... What if the dancers aren't that committed? What if it all falls apart in the eight weeks between now and then?

Then my paranoia set in.

I wrote Kaeshi:  "I just checked prices and it says $980... was that what it was yesterday, or did it go up like $100 already?"

Her measured response followed moments later: "It is the same price as yesterday. It did not go up..."

I was bursting.

"I am getting slightly cold feet about this," I dithered, "... it's happening a lot faster than I'd thought. Feeling very nervous..."

Her next message warmed my soles: "I think at this point, it's safe to go ahead and buy that ticket. The dancers are already all rearranging their work schedules to suit what I posted about rehearsals... Japan beckons cold-footed Carol! Catching a plane is much like riding a subway, only it looks and sounds a lot different on the other side..."

Well OK then!

And I bought the ticket.

At the next PURE-NYC meeting, Kaeshi asked if any other members would like to take the Tokyo plunge, and the bravehearted Pacita -- who turned out to be an extraordinary Assistant Director -- stepped up. And after a similar announcement during the PURE facilitator weekly web conference our team doubled in size, with Brian and Misha from Sarasota joining, as well Katie from Connecticut (who had hosted the show in May).

And we were on our way!

1 comment:

Lâle Sayoko said...

WoW Carol-.I can't wait to see Part 2!!! xox